Monday, March 31, 2008

Would you be my, could you be my, won't you be my neighbor?

Ben has an announcement to share:



We would love to buy all of the things that Ben mentioned, but most of all the house. So, that it is what we will buy. There is a little bonus that will make Ben (and me) happy - more on that later.

We had until April 7th to get a house under contract, or we needed to find an apartment. The other choice was to lose the buyer on our house. The options seemed slim, but we found a house in time. Not just a house to settle for, but one we really like.

As Ben mentioned, it is a brick house. It is a 3 bedroom Cape Cod style house on 2.5 acres in Horseheads. There are 2 full bathrooms - one with a bathtub and no shower (upstairs), and one with a shower and no bathtub (downstairs). The house was originally built in 1939 and many updates have been done in the last 5 years. The most notable update is the kitchen and dining area - Holly will be in her glory.

There is a space for me as well. A 90 year old 2 story barn that has been converted into a 2 car garage. As I have told Holly, garages come in two sizes - too small and almost big enough. This one qualifies as almost big enough. Not large by barn standards, but moving in the right direction.

As it turns out, our neighbor will be someone I taught with my first year teaching. His grandfather and uncles built the house we are buying.

I will let the pictures do the rest of the speaking:



Satellite picture of the property


The Neighborhood


Out front

Kitchen (model for purposes of scale)


Dining area


Ooooh... built ins


Living Room


Downstairs bathroom

Lower bedroom

Upstairs bathroom

I didn't get any pictures of the upstairs bedrooms : (


The Hot Rod Shop

And now, the aforementioned bonus. This was in their backyard. We asked if it could stay. They said yes. I don't know if it runs, but Ben will like it if he just gets to climb in and pretend to drive it (at least for a little while). I hope I can get it to run - it would be perfect for running in the field. This is a gem from Allis-Chalmers, vintage late 60's or early 70's. It is the precursor to the modern ATV. I will be learning more with hopes of getting it operable. If you want to know more, google "Terra Tiger."



3 comments:

Sandi said...

Congrats on finally finding a place! It looks great! Although apparently Ben would have been happy living in a tractor. Best of luck with your move.

The Strong Family said...

Ben, I'm so sorry that your mommy and daddy won't buy you one of those houses that you see on that HGTV show (can't think of the name right now) where people live in weird places like silos and converted bowling alleys. You really would be the coolest kid ever if you could live in a train or a Kubota. I guess you'll just have to settle for the awesome house your parents picked for you! Love, Sara, Todd and the girls

~ Jenny said...

Congrats on buying the new house! It looks gorgeous!!! Please send on my condolences to Ben, who obviously would have preferred a tractor.

Seriously thou, come visit. My 2 1/2 yr old cousin lives next door and he is just as obsessed with tractors as Ben is and my Dad has a bunch of real John Deeres in our yard!

Take care!!
And don't forget to send on your new address when you get it! :)